AHS International is seeking nominations for its Board of Directors for the term July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2015 for the following regions:
- Northeast U.S. Region
- Eastern New England Chapter
- Connecticut Valley Chapter
- Stratford Chapter
- Empire State Chapter
- Midwest U.S. Region
- Dayton Chapter
- St. Louis Chapter
- Southern U.S. Region
- Florida Chapter
- South Florida Chapter
- Atlanta Chapter
- Jake Fortner Chapter
- Redstone Chapter
- Americas Region
- Members in all countries in North and South America outside the U.S.
- Europe-Africa Region
- Members in all countries in Europe and Africa
- Asia-Australia Region
- Members in all countries in Australia and Asia, including the Middle East
The two positions for each region are Vice President and Director-at-Large. The description for each position, from the AHS Bylaws, is provided below:
Regional Vice Presidents
Election – Regional Vice Presidents shall be elected by a plurality of the ballots received from the Voting Members from the appropriate region.
Term – Regional Vice Presidents shall be elected for two (2) year terms commencing upon the adjournment of the annual meeting following their election. There is no limit to the number of consecutive or non-consecutive terms that an elected Regional Vice President may serve. In keeping with the process enacted upon the establishment of the Society, one-half (or one-half plus or minus one, as the case may be) of the Regional Vice Presidents shall be elected annually, with the other half elected the following year.
Duties – Regional Vice Presidents shall administer regional activities of the Society; promote membership and interest in and activities of the Society at the regional level; represent the members of the region at each meeting of the Board; and shall perform such other duties as are necessary and proper to the conduct of the office, or which the Board may from time to time direct. The Regional Vice President shall prepare and submit a written report to the Executive Director prior to all Board Meetings regarding finances, activities and concerns for the Region. Each Regional Vice President shall form a nominating committee for the purpose of selecting the subsequent nominees for Regional Vice President and Director-at-Large from the active voting membership of each Region for which their term expires. These recommended candidates for their respective offices shall be, by virtue of such selection, duly nominated candidates for their respective offices. The committee shall obtain written permission from each nominee prior to publicizing his or her name for election purposes. All nominations shall be submitted to the President by January of each year.
Election – Directors-at-Large shall be elected by a plurality of the ballots received from the Voting Members from the appropriate region.
Term – The Directors-at-Large shall be elected for two (2) year terms commencing upon the adjournment of the annual meeting following their election. There is no limit to the number of consecutive or non-consecutive terms that an elected Director-at-Large may serve. In keeping with the process enacted upon the establishment of the Society, one-half (or one-half plus or minus one, as the case may be) of the Directors-at-Large shall be elected annually, with the other half elected the following year.
Duties – Directors-at-Large shall assist the Regional Vice Presidents in administering regional activities of the Society, promote membership and interest in and activities of the Society at the regional level; represent the members of the region at each meeting of the Board; and shall perform such other duties as are necessary and proper to the conduct of the office, or which the Board may from time to time direct.
Additional responsibilities for the Regional VP, from the AHS Officers and Members Guide (must be logged in to access) are as follows:
- Presents a written report on regional/chapter activities at meetings of the Board of Directors, the report to include chapter elections and any revisions in regional/chapter Bylaws.
- Insures that the chapters in his/her respective region are operating in accordance with the Bylaws of the American Helicopter Society (AHS) International, Inc.
- Monitors the business aspects of activities and meetings held in his/her region.
- Insures that all chapters in his/her region execute indemnity agreements on behalf of the Society for all those functions for which such agreements are required.
- Insures that the chapters in his/her region are operating in accordance with established guidelines for regional/chapter treasuries.
- Is responsible for evaluating the financial needs and programs of his/her chapters.
- Is responsible for reviewing his/her job description at the end of his/her term and submitting changes, if any, to the Executive Director.
Additional responsibilities for the Regional Director-at-Large includes assisting the Regional VP in execution of the above duties and responsibilities.
Any individual who is a current member of AHS (with the exception of Student Members) may be nominated for either of these two positions and represent the membership within the designated region.
- By Dec 15 AHS hq will conduct a call for nominations within each region for the open office(s) including information as to whether or not the incumbent plans to run for re-election.
- Non-incumbent parties should notify the AHS Director of Membership of their interest NLT Jan 15 of each year, providing short bios with history of involvement with AHS.
- AHS will vet each candidate to be sure they meet eligibility requirements. The AHS President will be notified of all candidates who are nominated by the end of January
- A review committee will be composed of the Regional VP and Director at Large and the Presidents of the local chapters within the Region. At their discretion, this committee may also consult with senior leaders from companies, Government agencies and/or academic institutions in that region. The committee will review the candidates for applicable experience, leadership and other desired attributes and select up to four of the most qualified candidates to be on the ballot NLT Feb 15. Candidates not selected will be notified of the reason along with suggestions to improve candidacy in future.
- AHS will conduct a final consent from all the selected candidates and notify the AHS President NLT the end of February of the final nominations slate.
- AHS will send ballots in March, with results due NLT mid-April.
- AHS will tally the ballots and notify results NLT end of April.
- The two-year term will begin July 1.
If you would like to nominate yourself or someone else, or would like further information, please contact Liz Malleck and describe your interest and qualifications; a resume or CV is also encouraged.
In the event of more than four nominees for each position, AHS will select the most qualified candidates to be placed on the ballot.
Nominations must be received no later than January 15, 2013 by midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5:00).